STEPS recognises and respects each Carers right to privacy, dignity and confidentiality in all aspects of his or her life. STEPS will ensure that individuals enjoy:
- being treated with honour, respect and dignity thereby reflecting their culture and community, providing a positive influence for their self esteem;
- an assurance that written and spoken information is protected from access and use by unauthorized persons;
- assistance that is delivered in a manner that respects their privacy and dignity;
- the ability to gain access to their personal information, at any time upon request;
- the right to withdraw consent to release personal information at any time during the service.
STEPS will only collect information that is directly relevant to effective service delivery with the written consent of the individual or their advocate. All written, spoken and observed information and information stored electronically is treated as private and confidential. No information is disclosed about an individual without their or their advocate’s written consent except where disclosure is required or authorised by law.